Updated: Feb 14
Several years ago, a friend was undergoing a battle with cancer. We were going to learn about plant-based nutrition and take T Colin Campbell's course together. I ended up taking the course alone and had sent my friend these learnings from Dr. Campbell (below the line)👇 which beautifully sum up the power of plant-based nutrition.
There are so many great reasons to eat whole plants in their natural form. For instance, don't peel an apple, eat the skin with the rest of it. Instead of extracting protein from peas and making it into a milk-like drink, eat the whole, natural peas. When we mess with nature, we're not taking advantage of all of its benefits. T Colin Campbell states there may be trillions of positive chemical reactions that take place throughout our bodies when we eat the whole plant, perfectly packaged by Nature.
I hope T Colin Campbell's principles below help you.
I just finished part 2 of 3 from his course...I know you'll be taking them too but I thought this would be helpful to you. Here are his 8 main principles which are all part of the same message - eat plants! :o)
1. Nutrition represents the combined activities of countless food substances. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. So, it's great that you're juicing since you're getting all those healing nutrients into you, but eating the whole plant is always best. So we must try to do that as much as possible.
2. Vitamin supplements are not a panacea (cure-all) for good health. He says there may be short-term benefits when we have deficiencies, but there's no evidence that it supports long-term health. Also, an over-abundance of a particular nutrient might be toxic...which is why they can be dangerous.
3. There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants. I think you're already on board with this since you haven't been eating animals. This is very good. Protein exists in EVERY single plant food so we don't have to worry about not getting enough protein. Plants don't have as much protein as animals do, but this is a good thing since Dr. Campbell argues that an excess in protein is what feeds our tumors.
Campbell says as long as you eat a varied, whole food plant-based diet, you will naturally get his recommended supply of vital nutrients (10% protein, 10% fat, 80% carbs...which you will get in plant foods).
4. Genes do not determine disease on their own. Our genes play a function but it's when our bad genes are "activated" when we get into trouble. We activate our bad genes through bad foods and other toxins. The amazing part is that we can control tumors - Campbell has tons of scientific evidence showing that plant foods keep mischievous genes under control and 'starve' cancerous cells sometimes halting and reversing cancer. Therefore, a change in lifestyle towards plant foods can keep bad genes at bay...forever. Amazing.
5. Nutrition can substantially control the adverse effects of noxious chemicals. Same or similar idea as #4. Plant foods heal us - of all diseases. Campbell says nutrition trumps chemical carcinogens - that nutrition has "enormous control". YAY
6. The same nutrition that prevents disease in its early stages (before diagnosis) can also halt or reverse disease in its later stages (after diagnosis). So...this can be your LAST surgery since you will halt or reverse those stupid tumors with the power of plants.
7. Nutrition that is truly beneficial for one chronic disease will support health across the board. So basically, all or most diseases share common biochemistry and activities that cause disease to occur in the first place. Heal one, and heal them all. Good news for everyone.
8. Good nutrition creates health at all levels of our existence, and all parts are interconnected. Campbell speaks to this interconnectivity going beyond nutrition - that our plant eating will benefit us not only at the cellular levels, but operate between our organs too. He says our diets affect our ability to be physically active (plants give us strength too, not just animals...in fact, some world-class athletes he's worked with have better recovery time and better performance from only eating plants). Being plant-based improves our mental & emotional health; social connections; our environment, everything.
T Colin Campbell -
"I believe that an ounce of prevention does equal a pound of cure, and the earlier in life good foods are eaten, the better one’s health will be. But for those who already face the burden of disease, we must not forget that nutrition still can play a vital role."
These are messages of hope, encouragement, and empowerment.
Dr. Campbell -
"Our bodies have evolved with this infinitely complex network of reactions in order to derive maximal benefit from whole foods, as they appear in nature...I cannot stress this enough, as it is the foundation of understanding what good nutrition means."
My biggest takeaways from my plant-based life so far:
We have the power to change our bodies at the cellular level and get healthy
It's as easy as nourishing ourselves with the right fuel - whole plants - and limiting as many toxins as we can (we just need to do our best - no one can ask for more than that)
A major shift like changing how we eat is in no way, shape, or form easy but it is 100% possible and anyone can do it
You have the power to transform your health destiny. And I'm here to help.